Monday 10 June 2013

Improv Unit Semester two blog topic #1




The Improv unit contributed to my leadership growth and development by teaching me many little lessons that has helped me succeed in many ways throughout the semester. One huge thing the improv unit taught me was confidence. Before the lesson on improv I would be very timid within the class and I wouldn't let loose. Throughout all the little games I learned that it's okay to be myself and everyone looks and sounds silly, so you might as well just go for it. Another big lesson I learned was that I need to start accepting instead of blocking. I have noticed that I always seem to say "No", "Maybe next time" "I can't" instead of positive phrases like "Yeah, that sounds great!" I always seem to cut myself short and not give myself or anyone a fair opportunity to give something a chance; I immedietly say it won't be successful. After the Improv unit I think about it, and actually give it a chance. I don't just shut the idea down right away; I give it a fair chance to see if it will be successful. One last thing the Improv unit taught me was to make offers. It doesn't matter if the offer isn't exactly what we are looking for, it's the thought that counts. It shows initiave that you are willing to try and make an offer instead of letting people come up with the idea first. If you throw out a couple of ideas every time; the team can think about your idea and grow from it. When many students have an opinion on the topic and share it; it makes the event planning go a lot smoother and we end up with a better outcome for the event. I believe improv is a necessitity throughout our Leadership class because it allows us all advance within the class and also feel comfortable around eachother. We need to be able to make a quick decision sometimes, but also need to react in the right manner that will benefit the whole student body; and sometimes that comes down to making an offer, or accepting one.

No comments:

Post a Comment